Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working on reviving this place as of 5/13/19

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this week
No user
Latest topics
» Academy ships
SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] Emptyby Ticci Nub Kitty Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:06 pm

» Nub of the decade
SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] Emptyby Oshu Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:42 am

» This place man...
SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] Emptyby Nublyfe Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:21 am

» the post game
SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] Emptyby Nublyfe Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:46 am

» Nub Pic up lines
SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] Emptyby Nublyfe Fri May 17, 2019 4:38 pm

» Bruh I love my life. This is my Journal
SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] Emptyby Nublyfe Fri May 17, 2019 4:38 pm

» These are MTG decks if you say they're yugioh decks i'll LICK YOU
SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] Emptyby Auirex Thu May 16, 2019 2:21 pm

» Classic WoW Release date confirmed!
SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] Emptyby Auirex Thu May 16, 2019 12:29 am

» A thread of quotes
SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] Emptyby Auirex Thu May 16, 2019 12:27 am

» One of those tough decisionss you gotta make
SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] Emptyby Auirex Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:19 am

» Reply to this thread to die instantly
SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] Emptyby Auirex Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:16 am

SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JessWolfa
JessWolfa

SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] Empty
PostSubject: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 12:44 pm

Well, since the other topic isn't about gfx but is starting to take over, I figured it be wise to start a fresh topic here.

Sæ wrote:
There is a side for every coin. There are pros, and there are cons. This just so happens to be a con. Also, I'm asking for 50/50. I'm not asking for ALL of the banners to be removed, just all of them besides the ones in the academy handbook. Either way, you make a point.

Getting rid of the banners, is idiotic and generally puts people of academies. Example GDA has recently decided to ditch everything bar the main, and 4 banners. Despite making their new 4 banners [Very rushed]. The entire site feels unfinished, and I find myself not logging on anymore at all.

Now Sae you want, to remove banners because you feel it causes, lag. Now simply solution change the main banners lines.

1.Academy Handbook Are fine

Announcement
Members Guide
Ban Appeals.

2.Dorms [Category, can change] - School SDA or School Dat Ass

Classrooms - Classroom stuff
Dorms - All Dorms
Examination Halls - Testing Requests + Results

3. Member's Lounge
Introductions & Farewells
Creative Studios - Events, Writing and GFX sharing
Suggestions
Off Topic - Pokémon, Hearthstone, Anime

4. Activities

Arena - All the Area Stuff
Roleplay - Roleplay stuff
War - War stuff.
Tournaments

This will Lower the current 29 forums with banners, on home to 14 without getting rid of anything. Would mean we add a few little things to the Menu top right, but that takes 5 seconds.
New banners required : Creative Studio, Dorm Main, Examination Hall, War.  

Now this is using a Forums within Forum metord so would require a changing in forum style in panel.

Doing this, along with resizing to 100x300. Should be fine for you sae.
Back to top Go down
Alisae
Diamond
Diamond
Alisae

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 3:45 pm

To be honest, running a forum without banners is not idiotic. Forums can run without graphics, and academies should be no exception (A perfect example of this is DA). I only said keep the ones for the handbook because that along with the main banner hook the users into the academy. Hell, the fact that we have 2 different work on the acad right now (a combo of Ruby, Gaj, and maybe even Zthriller), make the site look bad.

Here is another thing: Either you have a professional design graphics, or you don't have graphics at all. Because bad graphics can do more harm then good. I am NOT saying that our current graphics is bad, but with 3 separate designers on the forum, it looks bad right now as is.

Also I like your idea of combing forums, and I even know something that could help when it comes to that. This thread shouldn't just be about graphics but rather forum appearance as a whole.
Back to top Go down
JessWolfa
JessWolfa

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 4:07 pm

You can't compare this academy to Duel Academy because they don't use the standard Formulation setup. What they have doesn't just require paying Formulation to allow them to get 100% control of the website, but also professional coders/Designers who know exactly what they are doing.

I don't have enough code knowledge, to redesign an entire template.

Not saying Sda doesn't need maybe a fresh new look. But i am strongly against the Lack of banners idea.
Back to top Go down
Alisae
Diamond
Diamond
Alisae

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 7:32 pm

JessWolfa wrote:
You can't compare this academy to Duel Academy because they don't use the standard Formulation setup. What they have doesn't just require paying Formulation to allow them to get 100% control of the website, but also professional coders/Designers who know exactly what they are doing.
Actually I can...You see, they do use the standard forumation set up, they just redesigned it with a new skin. And this isn't about this skin, this is about running a forum without graphics on the banners. If I were to compare skins, then yeah, I can't compare SDA to DA, but I can compare them in this situation because DA has proved that they can run their academy and not have graphics for their banners.

Also, I don't know what the fuck your talking about, forumotion is all free unless you don't want adds and you want to remove some copyrights and stuff. If you can point out what they are doing that any other forum cannot do, then please do so, I'm interested.

JessWolfa wrote:
I don't have enough code knowledge, to redesign an entire template.
But if we wanted to, we have Mokie (even though she does a lot as is right now). Hell, Project X whatever Gaj calls it might be a redesign of the template, who knows.
Back to top Go down
JessWolfa
JessWolfa

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 11:06 pm

my reply:

Anyway,
Back to top Go down
Alisae
Diamond
Diamond
Alisae

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 11:26 pm

JessWolfa wrote:
Kind of hard to show you, without a Founder account.

Though its clear when you know what your looking for, that they pay very slightly for things. They have not just taken a new skin. They have edited the template allot. Which normally skins lock you out, and you are un able to edit the overall template like that.  Some skins even go as far as blocking out the ability to change your background. Well not edit the background image.   Was more obvious in their old design than this one.

Now it could be, that someone actually owns the outright softwhere and built the skin from scratch and spent all that time, and simply plugged it in themselves.

*I might be wrong*  properly am, it has been awhile since I fiddled with the back coding on, them skins that don't use the Css or Jarascript to do their stuff.
Yeah, ya are. I have excess to GDA's founder account for template editing reasons. Editing templates does not cost money, its just you have to have the knowledge of how to code and know not to fuck up.
Back to top Go down
JessWolfa
JessWolfa

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:27 am

Btw, not on about the standard stuff. You do in the Css, or Html Jarascript.
Back to top Go down
Alisae
Diamond
Diamond
Alisae

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 2:56 am

@Gajeel Redfox: Here is some things you can edit with the templates to make the acad look slightly better btw.
http://fmdesign.forumotion.com/t18-phpbb2-removal-of-author-message-header-in-the-topics
http://fmdesign.forumotion.com/t31-phpbb2-removal-of-last-visit-unanswered-posts-table
http://fmdesign.forumotion.com/t32-phpbb2-removal-of-top-posters-mark-forums-read-table
Back to top Go down
Feelicks
Feelicks

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 9:35 am

A forum looks too plain and empty without forum banners imo unless it has a decent looking theme/skin. At the same time a forum with poorly made banners looks unprofessional.

About the lag; I myself don't have much difficulty accessing SDA even though my net speed usually only ranges from around 30kbps lol. For the people who do have serious net lag, resizing or reducing the number of banners can help although it would look neater if all forums had banners in my opinion.

I think the way to go about it is to have an experienced gfx artist remake all of the banners. That said, does SDA have any active gfx artists?
Back to top Go down
Alisae
Diamond
Diamond
Alisae

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 1:55 pm

From what I know, the ones that are active are Jess, Ruby, and Gaj. Ruby currently has her banners as the academy handbook, the current head banner, and the Introduction and Farewells banner. Gaj's banners are just about everything else, and I can show you some of Jess' work. For example these are the ones she did for GDA's Dorms:
SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] SiPziUiSDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] QTsgaCUSDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] 7M8gnQASDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] HAKgyF9
Back to top Go down
NeoNaruto
NeoNaruto

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Feelicks wrote:
A forum looks too plain and empty without forum banners imo unless it has a decent looking theme/skin. At the same time a forum with poorly made banners looks unprofessional.

About the lag; I myself don't have much difficulty accessing SDA even though my net speed usually only ranges from around 30kbps lol. For the people who do have serious net lag, resizing or reducing the number of banners can help although it would look neater if all forums had banners in my opinion.

I think the way to go about it is to have an experienced gfx artist remake all of the banners. That said, does SDA have any active gfx artists?

our best gfxer is feelicks no doubt, do you want a job m9-1
Back to top Go down
Alisae
Diamond
Diamond
Alisae

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 3:58 pm

Also, a new, skin that was light instead of dark would be cool. Just sayin. Though if not, I understand why we can't have a new skin, the one we have right now is perfectly fine as is.
Back to top Go down
Lunarnox
Diamond
Diamond
Lunarnox

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 4:26 pm

@Dazo, no. no lighter color, please god no! Keep it as is!
Back to top Go down
Alisae
Diamond
Diamond
Alisae

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 4:43 pm

Lunarnox wrote:
@Dazo, no. no lighter color, please god no! Keep it as is!
Hay, ya know, some people prefer a lighter skin, some people prefer a darker skin. I'm just tired of seeing so many acads use dark skins. Its overrated and overdone, and someone should try to trend off of it.
Back to top Go down
JessWolfa
JessWolfa

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 2:13 am

I don't really count as active, i only really do batch jobs.
Back to top Go down
Feelicks
Feelicks

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 7:08 am

Well if no one is making new banners then I volunteer as tribute

/blows hunger games whistle thing

That is, assuming them higher ups decide to not remove banners.
Back to top Go down
NeoNaruto
NeoNaruto

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 12:44 pm

pls tell me we're getting feelicks to do it (see his work on neon's ava/sig)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]   SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic] Empty

Back to top Go down

SDA Gfx[ Follow up, from other topic]
Page 1 of 1